Lent is our special season of preparation and renewal—preparing our hearts to grow closer to the Lord and remembering what our faith means to us. It really is an important six weeks to use well and wisely.
Every year, Lent ends with the greatest expression of selfless giving—through the passion and death of Jesus, he gives himself to us in love which climaxes in his glorious Resurrection.
We can give something of ourselves to him as we work our way through Lent; journey with him through the Stations of the Cross, try to get to Mass more regularly and through our self-denial and good works we can show our gratitude to the Lord for offering us, through his Resurrection, the promise of life with him in heaven.
Journeying Through Lent:
We will be following the York Course — an ecumenical discussion course. This year’s theme is “Praise Him” which explores five different songs of praise from the New Testament every Wednesday at The Church on Oakwood, beginning Wednesday 25th February. Tea & coffee from 7.00pm with a 7.30pm start.
St Thomas More – The Man and his Spirituality:
Having seen the BBC dramatisation of Wolf Hall, what do you know about Thomas More as a person and his spirituality? Geoff Dennis is giving a talk on the life and spirituality of Thomas More on Tuesday 17th March at 7pm at St Hugh’s parish meeting room. Everyone welcome!
The Call, the Journey, the Mission:
There will be two sessions taking place during Lent to discuss the leaflet produced by the Bishops of England & Wales on Marriage and Family Life, copies of which are available from St Alban’s Parish Office or from the Diocesan website (www.nottingham-diocese.org.uk).
Our two sessions will be:
- Monday 2nd March – 7.30pm at St Alban’s Church
- Monday 23rd March – 7.30pm at St Hugh’s Church Borrowash
Finding God in the Word during Lent:
Exploring the Gospel through listening, stillness
and prayer at St Alban’s Parish Centre at:
- 7.30pm on Tuesday 10th March and;
- Tuesday 24th March.
Penance Services around the Deanery
(All services begin at 7.00pm)
- Wednesday 25th March at Christ the King, Mackworth
- Thursday 26th March at St George’s Church
- Friday 27th March at Our Lady’s, Mickleover
- Monday 30th March at St Mary’s Church
- Tuesday 31st March at St Alban’s Church
- St Hugh’s: Saturday 28th March & 4th April
- St Alban’s: Every Saturday during Lent,
Stations of the Cross:
Friday’s during Lent beginning at 7.00pm (soup and a roll will be served in the Parish Hall after the services)
- 20th February – St Hugh’s Borrowash
- 27th February – St Alban’s Church
- 6th March – St Hugh’s Borrowash
- 13th March – St Alban’s Church
- 20th March – St Hugh’s Borrowash
- 27th March – St Alban’s Church